Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

Today's Mother's Day message was from Deuteronomy 6:1-9. It's basically a reminder to parents of their important role in passing on the heritage of faith to the next generation by walking their talk.

The speaker did not imply it in the message but I have always felt that it is a bit unfair to lay all the blame and shame on parents whenever children wander from the faith. As much as we want to do our best as parents, children too have their responsibility to take up the baton and run the race.

We know of a pair of godly missionary parents whose son is now the pastor of one of the biggest churches in Singapore. Their youngest daughter is a missionary to Nepal. There is, however, one prodigal son who left the faith and has caused much heartache to the parents. Same parents, different results. Is it solely the parents fault?

God Himself identifies with and consoles parents whose children have gone astray despite their best efforts in parenting because He knows their pain. He also has rebellious children who spurned His goodness and decided to go their own self-destructive way.

Much is demanded of parents but when we have done our best, and we have solicited God's help through prayer, we just have to trust that our best is good enough.

The world is great at passing the buck. When a person has a problem it's his parent's fault or his ancestors' fault but the Bible is clear, each person is accountable for his own mistakes.

Maybe I am over-reacting but one thing I know is that we can walk the talk to the best of our ability but whether our children choose to walk the same path is their choice and their responsibility.

"Reflections of a Mother... "

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you.
I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn.
I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to lead you.
I can allow you freedom, but I cannot account for it.
I can take you to worship, but I cannot make you believe.
I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot always decide for you.
I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you beautiful inside.
I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.
I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you.
I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.
I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor.
I can advise you about friends, but cannot choose them for you.
I can advise you about sex, but I cannot keep you pure.
I can tell you the facts of life, but I can't build your reputation.
I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you.
I can warn you about drugs but I can't prevent you from using them.
I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve them for you.
I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to be gracious.
I can warn you about sins, but I cannot make you moral
I can love you as a child, but I cannot place you in God's family.
I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can teach you about God, but I cannot make God your Lord.
I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal life
I can love you with unconditional love all of my life.....
and I will!

No comments: